Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

DVD-Music...

I'll start out by admitting that frustration exposes immaturity in me faster than anything else I know of.

I made the decision to start purchasing some DVD-A titles in anticipation of receiving a transport capable of decoding them. I am very frustrated trying to figure out how to determine if a given DVD disc has a conventional stereo mix or not. Out of the 3 discs I have now purchased I don't know if one of them has pure stereo information. The 3 discs I have purchased are

Aaron Neville: Devotion
Aaron Neville: Believe
Ken Boothe: Crying Over You

All 3 of these are from Silverline Records and that appears (from searching the archives) to be at least part of the problem. On the packaging they list these as having the following special features

24 bit/96 kHz DVD-A and 24 bit/48 kHz Dolby Digital 5.1 options
Stunning 5.1 surround sound
Liner notes
Artist photos
Plays on ALL DVD players

My question is does this tell me ANYTHING useful? Do I have a stereo version? If not, would I be better off purchasing the Redbook version of these titles?

I find equipping a 2 channel system to be all the challenge I care to tackle considering my perfectionist tendencies. Searching the archives here at AA I can not believe what an absolutely confusing mess the DVD-A people have made of this format.

To provide some constructive criticism, I would like to suggest a new format to be called DVD-Music that would contain a stereo only mix. OK, perhaps this is a bit selfish. Maybe it could have multi-channel information as well. The DVD-A standard (just joking of course) could stay and be recycled to stand for DVD-Advanced and record companies could be allowed to do anything they want with these (this appears to be what they are currently doing anyway). The current DVD-A titles would become collectors items and sell on eBay for thousands 10 or 20 years down the road.

I am at least more than half serious about the issues I have mentioned, so please, don't make any accusations about trolling.

P.S. I really like my DVD-M idea, can I get some kind of trademark or copyright protection for the term and idea?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - DVD-Music... - Wellfed 09:20:02 05/03/03 (13)

You can not post to an archived thread.