Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Top DVD-As outselling CD counterparts on Amazon.de

There's some useful information in the Amazon websites, which tell you the "Amazon sales rank" (ASR) for each item. Over a period of 5 days, I checked the sales ranks of the top pop/rock DVD-As on Amazon.de, Amazon.co.uk, and Amazon.com. All of this is public information, provided to customers as they navigate on the websites. These figures fluctuate up and down as new items move up ("movers and shakers") and, I believe, as time goes by. If you verify the figures, you will notice that they may vary from day to day.

Caveat

As a caveat, this is by no means a scientific sample, nor is it an indication of total sales. The amazon methodology for these figures is not known, and we have no indication of the scale of these rankings (eg the sales position 5,000 could be only a few units away from 50,000). In other words, I don't believe the differences are meaningful for one title only, and for a small interval, but for a series of titles

To make things clear: the difference between the ASR 5,000 and ASR 6,000 for one title (or between 2 titles) may be negligible, as we have no indication of the number of units between these two ASRs. But the overall sample distribution in terms of ranking, and the comparative distribution of equivalent CDs, is probably meaningful.

I believe, in any event, that these figures indicate the success of several "mainstream" titles over one of the most visible Internet stores in Europe.

A total of 65 titles, primarily from Warner, were included, because they were available and were in the highest selling ranks. The sample was fairly similar on all 3 websites. There were only a few titles available on one site only (Bryan Ferry / Frantic, available only on Amazon.de). Only the UK website was missing several key references (somebody should give these guys a call).

Finally, I didn't do this as a scientific study, but as a "quick and dirty" and I may have ommitted some key titles. I did check for alternate editions when the ASR was extremely low or surprising, especially for the CD counterpart edition. The Bjork Vespertine DVD-A had two editions (Canada and UK), with very similar sales ranking (in the low 40,000).

Snapshot Analysis

When analysing these figures, the sales rank (Amazon.de-Verkaufsrang ) for the sample of 65 mainstream "pop/rock" DVD-A titles was consistently better than the rank on the UK and US sites.

(Sorry for the sloppy table, if someone could tell me how to make those, it would be useful)

Top Sales Rank of DVD-A titles on Amazon.de
(collected 30 april to May 3)

Rank---Title--------------------------- DVD-A ------------ CD
1. --- Queen / NIght at the Opera ----- 554 -------------- 2 583
2. --- Eagles / Hotel California --------- 771 --------------- 410
3. --- REM Automatic ---------------- 1 315 ------------- 1 048
4. --- Faith Hill: / Cry ----------------- 2 386 ------------ 659
5. --- Jazz at the Movies -------------- 2 403 -------------(na)
6. --- Linkin Park / Reanimation -------- 2 594 ------------- 477
7. --- Fleetwood Mac / Rumours ------- 2 666 ------------ 255
8. --- The Nightfly --------------------- 2 849 ------------- 6 468
9. --- Foreigner / 4 ---------------------3 167 ------------ 57 433
10. --- Philip Glass / Koyaanisqatsi ---- 3 689 ------------- 24 738
11. --- Young Neil / Harvest ----------- 3 750 ------------- 139
12. --- Elvis / #1 Greatest Hits ---------- 4 011 ------------ 290
13. --- Metallica / Metallica ------------- 4 224 ----------- 780
14. --- Harris / Producer's Cut ----------- 4 252 ------------ (na)
15. --- Mana / MTV Unplugged --------- 4 653 ------------ 514
16. --- Clapton / Riding w/ King --------- 5 241 ------------ 6 364
17. --- Carly Simon / No Secret ---------- 5 250 ---------- 30 205
18. --- Band / The Last Waltz ------------ 5 651 ---------- 12 069
19. --- Steely Dan / 2 Against Nature ---- 6 549 ----------- 113 739
20. --- Corrs / In Blue ------------------- 6 722 -----------22 930

Source: Amazon.de Website

Comment

Some of this analysis is simply common sense (DVD-A titles sell better than the CD edition of fairly old catalog titles), but it shows that top DVD-A titles are close to the level of key mainstream pop/rock figures on Amazon.de. While this is not entirely a surprise, it may be useful to remember that these products reach significant volumes when they are marketed correctly. It may also be useful to note that DVD-A may outsell the CD edition of some titles.

The differences in the sales rank between Amazon.de and Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk is very important, and there may be several explanations:

- there is a better selection of DVD-As on Amazon.de
- the DVD-A search is more easily accessible from the CD edition
- prices may be lower (I didn't check that :)
- the German Amazon site serves as a platform for other European countries, including Switzerland, Austria, and all of Central Europe, and is labelled in Euros, as opposed to the UK, which is in £.
- the German market is more receptive to DVD-A.

Overall, I find it slightly disappointing that the more recent quality titles such as Bjork / Vespertine or Buena Vista Social Club are not (yet) in the top 20. The Emilou Harris Producer's Cut release is probably a good indication of the potential for a DVD-A only release.

And, finally, I think that if I was in charge of a DVD-A record label, I know exactly where I would try to get my products referenced in Europe :)

Best

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Top DVD-As outselling CD counterparts on Amazon.de - Eric LeRouge 07:27:03 05/03/03 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.