Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

By the way . . .

Beethoven's 4,5, & 9 are good (Teldec) are good (and are part of a complete "set" (1-9) recorded specifically for multi-channel on DVD-A. Note that even on the CD pressing of this Teldec set, numerous reviewers have praised the overall performance of this Barenboim / Warner project as being probably the best "cycle" by any conductor/orchestra to date.

By the way, I don’t think an equivalent whole set exists for SACD, so you can’t really do a comparison based on nos 4,5, & 9. In contrast I understand SACD folks presently have to rely on old remasters (e.g. 1960-70s Karajan? etc.) if they want to hear Beethoven’s symphonies.

Also note that the Barenboim set was actually recorded several years ago on first-generation multi-channel equipment. So while the sound quality is good, it isn’t quite up to the standard of Teldec’s more recent St Matthaus Passion release. Furthermore, the Teldec Beethoven set was recorded in a large studio, whereas I prefer a more natural setting.

In contrast, St Matthaus was recorded in a large historic building in Vienna, Austria, with beautiful natural acoustics. For this reason, I say that if you haven’t listened to it on the Meridian setup in 5.1, I suggest you do so, before making any judgement on sound quality, realism and "musicality".

By the way, have you not listened to any of the AIX chamber-music titles I listed, or the Naxos Four Seasons? And was the Tacet title you mentioned one of the recent 96kHz productions? If not, I suggest you listen to these too. MDG’s Missa Solemnis is also worth checking out. All these sound better in my opinion, than the aforementioned Barenboim cycle (that is, if one can actually make a representative comparison). Also, the definitive release of AIX’s Chopin "Four Ballades" is also sonically very impressive and the Steinway piano does sound very "real".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.