Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Yep,

"Frank, if you use the extra 8 bits as MSBs as you seem to suggest, you haven't eliminated any issues stemming from a lack of headroom on the input."

I assume that the recorded material uses the dynamic range to it's fullest potential in the max department but, of course, just under clipping.
Utilizing more defensive methods during recording to prevent problems in the rest of your production chain is fine. But they should consider upgrading to better processing equipment, like 32 bits fp processing.

"You've only temporarily avoided the issues until you have to fit the result back into 24 bits, at which point you will either need to attentuate or compress the result. Further, without any additional LSBs, any processing steps that involve roundoff error will add to the noise floor."

That's actuallly the case, but it's the best you can do to fit back the resulting data into 24 bit's with minimal signal degradation.

"That defeats the whole purpose of using 32 bits."

Not at all, the 32 bits processing is providing the headroom to get the maximum result from the recording.
It also obseletes the 'old school' thinking of the defensive recording practises that where neccesairy to circumvent the 'processing' bottleneck (be it analog or digital).

"If the input & end result are 24 bit, then the advantage of doing intermediate processing at 32 bits is specifically to make sure that any noise and distortion introduced during processing is well below the 24 bit noise floor."

Exactly.

"I believe that if you ask around, you'll find that it's industry standard practice to leave 2-3 bits of headroom in the final result during PCM mastering and 6 dB of headroom in the result of DSD mastering."

"I believe you'll also find that when higher bit depths are used during intermediate processing, the extra bits are usually used on the LSB end."

I don't think that's true for processing.

For sample rate conversions,attenuation and filtering processes it's best to use the extra bits as lsb.

But for mixing (summing) and gain applications the extra bits are best used to maximize the headroom.

In practise the extra bits should be split equal at both ends of the pcm word.

In the last stage the file could be adjusted to use the maximum bitwidth by a fairly 'simple' bitshift before dithering it down to 24 bit.

This will always ensure maximum performance from the dac utilized in the players.

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Yep, - Frank 05:01:34 05/02/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.