Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Any Denon owners getting stereo only when all indicates 5.1?

Yesterday I had a chance to listen to a super +$33,000 DVD-Audio set-up consisting of Holfi Power 8-2, 8-3 power amps, Holfi Pre 5.1 pre amp, Dali Euphonia speaker series (MS5 as fronts) and Denon’s DVD-A1 DVD-Audio player (DVD-9000 in US I think).

To test various elements I brought about 10 DVD-A’s and the first one I popped in was Denon’s “Sonic Boom”. To my surprise nothing was coming out from the center and rears even though all displays clearly indicated “5.1”. A shop assistant told me that they had experienced this problem with Denon DVD-3800 but he didn’t know that the A1 also had the same problem.

Out of the 10 DVD-A’s I brought, the A1 had this problem with 2 of them (embarrassing that the Denon DVD-A disc was one of them). Is this a well known Denon Problem? I never heard about it before.

-----------

Well, apart from that I was a bit disappointed with what I heard. This was a +$33,000 set-up in a dedicated listening room, albeit the set-up was optimized for movie watching I was still expecting to be blown away by the sound. I was not getting a convincing soundstage, the sound was a little muffled and there was a huge bass resonance problem right where the couch was placed.

How much of this was caused by poor placement and the room vs the equipment itself, I will leave unsaid. I think I will give the system the benefit of the doubt, but as the set-up’s are right now my moderate $6,000 system would squash this “dream-system”.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Any Denon owners getting stereo only when all indicates 5.1? - LarsB 03:02:45 05/02/03 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.