Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Thanks! I have Barenboim Beethoven 3, 6, 7, & 8. I agree, they sound "OK".

>> Now, of these, which would you rate as best recordings (not necessarily best performance). <<

That's a difficult question to answer! As recordings go, the AIX titles I mentioned, are all first crystal clear. For your "evaluation" purposes, I wholeheartedly recommend getting the sampler from www.aixrecords.com. This has a wide selection from the AIX catalog. As regards chamber music, I happen to like Vivaldi and Handel (these composers featured heavily in the choral and orchestral concerts I performed in at school), so I play that disc ["Marcello, Handel & Vivaldi - Oboe Concerto, Organ Concert and 2 Sinfonias"] a lot. The natural texture of the oboe in particular is superb. Tracks from this title, however, are not featured on the sampler.

In addition, if you want to hear a piano as lifelike as you’ll probably ever hear on any recording, then get the Chopin: "The Four Ballades".

A mention also has to be made of the lush sounding St Matthaus Passion (Harnoncourt/Teldec). This is easily the best Teldec recording so far (and perhaps the best DVD-A by any label), and runs for an amazing 2hr 45mins at 96/24 in 5.1. The performances are top notch too, and it features the Vienna Boys’ Choir. On top of that, they manage to cram in an interesting documentary video (as well as the Dolby track of the whole thing). A must. (Strangely, it's not available yet in the US, but you can order it from Amazon.co.uk.)

I agree with "ct" that the Tacet titles are excellent — but make sure you get the newer ones which are 96kHz & 24 bit. In particular, I think you’d enjoy the two titles I’ve listed. (Some older titles from Tacet are only at 48kHz resolution.)

Also, there’s no excuse not to get the Naxos "Four Seasons" especially at its modest asking price of about $12. Recorded in 96/24 & 5.0ch, this does sound exceptionally clear indeed, and sounds better than many titles costing much more.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thanks! I have Barenboim Beethoven 3, 6, 7, & 8. I agree, they sound "OK". - Martin 02:15:49 05/02/03 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.