Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Thanks Christine...DVD-A Primer anyone?...

the early titles are hopeless. they all as something like "playable as Advanced Resolution Multi-Channel and Advanced Resolution Stereo" but all they have is an MLP 5.1 track and if you are listening in stereo the player is down-mixing 5.1 into 2.0 (yuck!) The down-mixing coefficients are stored with the audio track so it's not simply a case of the player collapsing all the tracks but still i would prefer a dedicated stereo mix.

The newer titles all have a box on the top part of the back cover that clearly states what formats (DVD-A and DVD-V) are available on the disc.

Very occasionally, this box is *wrong* (i.e. says MLP 2.0 192/24 is available whereas only the MLP 2.0 tracks is only 96/24) but that's rare.

If you are a stereo listener you should be looking out for a dedicated MLP 2.0 track. The site where I submit DVD-A reviews to (www.michaeldvd.com.au) always state exactly what formats and resolution are on each disc reviewed so that should be useful particularly for the early titles. To search for DVD-A reviews, enter "DVD-Audio" as the search string (the hyphen is important).

I notice www.highfidelityreviews.com also state what formats are available on the disc in their reviews.

There should be DVD-A primer available on the internet - i don't have one handy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thanks Christine...DVD-A Primer anyone?... - Christine Tham 13:40:09 05/01/03 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.