Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Thanks! I have Barenboim Beethoven 3, 6, 7, & 8. I agree, they sound "OK".

I also have Barenboim conducting Chicago on Mahler 5.

Contrast these to my multichannel SACDs including, for instance, the MTT San Francisco Symphony recordings of Mahler 1, 3, and 6 and my Delos Schnittke concerto for piano and strings / Shostakovich Chamber Symphony (Orbelian w/ the Moscow Chamber Orchestra, there's no contest. To me, the DVD-A recordings lean toward sounding somewhat CD-like where the SACDs sound more vinyl-like. To my ears with SACD each instrument sounds more like they're in the room with me; they sound more lifelike (you hear more woodiness in the clarinet and hear more of the wood texture in the stringed instruments). With the SACDs there's much more clarity and separation, more ability to close your eyes and point to the instruments in the orchestra (remember, I'm comparing these using the exact same system and room accoustics).

Now I didn't write this to argue DVD-A against SACD, all I want to do is discover that DVD-As can sound as good as my SACDs so I can open up my choices in music selection.

Thanks again for your recommendations. Now, of these, which would you rate as best recordings (not necessarily best performance). I'd like to do a comparison of best against best and then go from there.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.