Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: SACD vs. DVD-A title availability...

to date the only major label issuing DVD-As is Warner (plus a smattering of EMI), whereas SACD has Sony, Universal, EMI plus strong support from a number of smaller labels like Telarc, Chesky, Chandos etc.

Warner hasn't released a lot of titles recently - i suspect because they were experimenting with a hybrid DVD-A/CD format which turned out to be impractical.

I suspect we will start to see more titles once Warner starts releasing them again and Universal joins into the format. Well, one can only hope!

In terms of the different formats, DVD-A is different from DVD-V, but i suspect you knew that. the early titles tend to be multi-channel only (MLP 5.1 on DVD-A section and Dolby Digital 5.1 on DVD-V section of disc). Lately the number of formats on titles have improved to the extent that you should be expecting both MLP 5.1 and 2.0, as well as DD 5.1, dts 5.1 and LPCM 2.0 on new titles. However, there is no "standard" in terms of what formats to include on each disc, nor resolution (a few titles for example are only 48/24 and 192/24 is rare). But that is the price you pay for flexibility!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.