Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Dave, smart filtering may not be highly audible

Jim,

I didn't mean to suggest that all filters are highly audible, only that implementing them in the digital domain doesn't eliminate the basic tradeoffs associated with finding the most transparent filter response.

Also, I've found that for me, the only kind of bass management I can live with is to run all of my speakers full range and use a sub to fill in the bottom end of their response. This seems to work best with subs that are designed to be run this way, as they tend to have a gentler LPF which blends better with the rolloff of the mains. For a long time, I bought into the theory that you need to HPF the mains because sound quality would somehow suffer if they were driven into LF excursions below their cutoff. But now I find that any kind of traditional bass management involving an LPF on the sub and a HPF on the mains (typically with fairly steep matched rolloffs) compromises low frequency imaging somewhat and makes the sub stand out more rather than blending in transparently. Obviously, this is less of an issue the lower your mains go, and yours go lower than mine, so your mileage may vary.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Dave, smart filtering may not be highly audible - Dave Kingsland 07:07:33 04/30/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.