Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

I found some interesting stuff doing comparisons

I used EAC "compare WAV" feature between the CD layer of some SACDs and the equivalent "CD-only" edition. For example I compared the redbook layer of the Ray Brown Monty Alexander etc from Telarc, with the CD (which also has a good bonus disc of Ray Brown). These two were published by Telarc, and were released almost simultaneously. So what you find is that all the tracks are identical... except for 638 "missing samples" in each track in the CD edition. These missing samples are located at the very begining of the track (usually in a silent place), you cannot hear anything in that section when you play it, and I cannot figure out what they are.

At one point I thought of posting this on the HRH to ask what it could be, because I didn't feel like being accused of trolling.

Anyway, I'm afraid record companies won't bother re-mastering the CD layer so if you buy a hybrid SACD reedition, you only get the latest remastered CD version of that title if there was one.

Best

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I found some interesting stuff doing comparisons - Eric LeRouge 15:31:51 04/29/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.