Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

My guess...

Is that the PSP results in an AM modulated signal on top of the normal disc readout signal. Both can be easily detected and filtered.
The PSP signal would have a lower carrier frequency than the normal signal derived from the disc.
Some of the security data is modulated into the PSP signal.

PSP can also be used to create a visible image on the disc.

Because the PSP signal has a lower frequency it also means that the servo focussing mechanism must cope with the lower frequency PSP signal (wich affects the reflected light level).

The focussing servo loop mechanism must be less thight and must act slower to cope with the wider bandwith of the signal coming from the light detectors.

This means that the focussing (an also tracking) is less optimized for the datastream that is holding the actual information.

I suspect that disc and player tolerances must be kept thight to ensure stable operation. Wear and tear and long term in drift electrical circuits parameters can affect the playback reliability.

The many reported problems with TOC read difficulties and failures to recognize sacd layers could be related to the problem.

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • My guess... - Frank 11:42:26 04/29/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.