Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Why DSD is the best choice as a digital format : Read the PDF

Remember, DSD is just a marketing term for PDM or SDM. Sony only own patents over a specific implementation.

I agree, Sony developed DSD for Stereo + Multichannel on a single disk, with maximum compatability with CD. Unfortunately, it is what it takes for a medium to have a chance in this day and age.

One thing, remember even before SACD existed, DSD was originally developed as an archiving format for their masters..... given these are 100% 2-channel, this would indicate that DSD's specific design for multi-channel may not be supported by evidence.

As for prices being passed down, its so insignificant for record companies if its sells, SACD or DVD-A. In Australia, many of the hybrid SACD's have been priced even cheaper than full price CD!!! Some are a bit more, some at full price, and a few less. So the price arn't that bad. To be honest, I'm happy to pay if I get the quality.

With regards to Multi-channel, and this applies to DVD-A and SACD. If its done correctly, it does actually sound good. Tubular Bells for example, which was originally conceived for Quadrophonic sounds awesome on SACD (a 4.0 mix). I've also heard some excellent classical Piano solo SACD's which just used the rears for ambience and sound brilliant. I'm sure the quality DVD-A releases can be just as effective. So 5.1 doesn't have to be all bad, though you'll never be able to count on it always being used sensibly.

Daniel.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Why DSD is the best choice as a digital format : Read the PDF - SnaggS 08:05:17 04/29/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.