Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Ok, ok

My first question.

1) How is DSD not better than 192/24 ? It has less ringing, wider bandwidth and a much higher sampling rate. We know that until PCM 384, the sampling rate isn't high enough, regardless of bitrate. Infact, it has been proven, that for most commercial pop music releases, no more than -45 dB S/N is neccesary, that equates to only 9-bit, even CD has well in excess of the dynamic range for most recordings.

2) Even if we for the sake of argument agree that 192/24 is at least as good as, if not better than DSD overall. What relevance is this when we havn't had a single commercial 192/24 release ? Theyre all 96/24 as the mainstream public want multi-channel, its the only way to sell a new format to Joe Blow, he can hear shit (doesn't matter what it is) coming out his rear speakers and he can say, CD doesn't do that. Yes you will get the occasional audiophile 192/24 release in the future (maybe not ?). Yes you can record on DVD-A at 192/24, which really is brilliant for live recordings. However, you don't loose this ability if SACD takes over DVD-A as the commercial release medium.

MiniDisc never really took off as a release medium outside Japan, but who cares ? I have a recorder and couldn't care two hoots, I can still record my radio shows. Recordable mediums don't have the same success criteria as a playback only. For this reason, DVD-A will never die. It will always be around for home enthusiasts and small backyard recording labels.

I just want it to die for the majors, as Stereo and Watermark Free recordings are not part of its future. IF there was a media release tommorow, that even just stereo 96/24 was mandated, and audible watermarking scrapped, I'd jump on board with both formats. Whilst I'd prefer my Neil Young on DSD, as you say, 24/96 is plenty good enough. Not perfect, but I could live with it, especially considering how CD has improved. However, given SACD exists, and provides the best quality overall, I want it to succeed. I can still have DVD-A as a recording medium (or DVD-A LPCM), but at least when I buy my disks I know that the worst case scenario is still ok, stereo for me even if the 5.1 is ping-pong and watermark free.

Daniel.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.