Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: What DVD-A players have you checked out?

I do think it's rather difficult to do an excellent 24 bit DAC. When trying to find a DAC to playback my personal recordings, I listened to anything 24/96 capable that I could get my hands on. I quickly concluded that just because the DAC is 24 bit capable doesn't mean it will even come close to resolving all 24 bits. dCS has some fantastic whitepapers on this... I'm not sure about DSD/1-bit, I don't have the ability to record DSD so I can't really comment on that intelligibly. dCS says 1 bit DACs has their own inherent problems, too, tho..

As for DVD-A players, I haven't heard that many. Most of the Pioneers and Denons. None sounded as good, IMO, as my Cary CD308 feeding my Delius 16/44.1. 24 bit is hard to do. Now if DVD-A allowed 24/192 LPCM out, I'm certain when coupled with the dCS it would SMASH 16/44 in my house. I've done many 24/96 vs. 16/44.1 comparos via my dCS (with my concert recordings) and 24 bit is SUBSTANTIALLY better, especially at 96khz.

I have only heard DVD-A players at 24/192, and I don't have the ability (currently) to record 24/192, so I can't comment on a good 24/96 vs. 24/192 comparo. I will say that my ears hear a fairly substantial difference between 24/48 and 24/96. I don't know whether that means I will hear a similar benefit with 24/192, but I am willing to try someday :)

Didn't Meridian say that 20/58, or something weird like that, was all we needed? I recall reading a whitepaper on it...

That said, I would *love* to hear (and own!) the Meridian 800 series DVD Player. Nice.

I'm still hoping dCS will implement a *standard* 1394 interface (vs their proprietary one) that will accept both DSD and DVD-A. Here's to hoping...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What DVD-A players have you checked out? - ducati 14:19:56 04/27/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.