Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

...and the crowd goes wild. Great post!

I believe that DVD-A is technically better then SACD, however I suspect there is something in the psychoacoustic noise shaping on SACD that makes it pleasing to many people resulting their ‘more musical’ arguments. Doesn’t mean that the recording is truer to the original then a high-rez PCM recording but it sounds better if you are predisposed to the SACD noise shaping.

The small number of people who I’ve talked to that have listened to both formats lean towards SACD. BUT, they usually relate hearing an exceptional DVD-A recording as well AND they usually comment that they didn’t like the gimmicky surround ‘tricks’ on DVD-A. This brings me to a second thought – Much of the differences perceived by people could be related to how the material was mastered. DSD recordings could be less processed then PCM recordings as PCM has more established tools to manipulate the recording and this could be affecting the final product.

Your observation that DVD-A appears to be behind seems to be true. The lead afforded by the hybrid CD/SACD for popular titles is likely part of the reason. IF DVD-A gets the flipper, then I believe we will see DVD-A start to gain ground. This coupled with the fact that many mainstream consumer DVD players will soon have DVD-A playback as a standard feature will allow the casual user to experience high-rez (depending on if the system is up to it) and maybe even pursue it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.