Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: This is music to my ears (and many others here)

I think I am now understanding: *some* commercial DVD-A discs allow digital out, then? And if they do, I *could* send the PCM to my DAC. That would rock :)

As for DVD-V software, I've been checking into it for awhile. I have a friend who films and produces movies, and he's helped me a great deal by authoring some discs for me (or having the discs authored for me?? Dunno). I don't own the software to do it myself as of yet; I am waiting to make a decision on DVD-A or not, as if I go DVD-A I want a DVD-A package for the redbook-type flexibility it gives me. Discwelder Steel and Chrome appear to be good choices here.

But for DVD-V, my friend is very knowledgeable (and his company owns) some Sonic packages. I know Sonic offers some DVD-V authoring programs that you can author DVD-V's with 24 bit audio tracks. What you do is drop a bitmap in the video track as a "slide show", and extend it out in the timeline to the length of your audio track. Then drop your audio track in and burn away. What results is a DVD-V that plays one bitmap and a 24 bit audio file. Obviously you could mess with menus and such, but I just like to drop it in and play without having to turn on the TV, etc., and since I do concert recording one big long track is fine with me (just like my LPs!!). If I recall correctly, he told me Sonic ReelDVD will do 24/48, DVDiT Pro *might* do 24/48, and there's a "big Sonic package" that does 24/96... He said it's expensive, tho, and really for high end movie authoring; and that if I wanted to go that route I should just buy Discwelder Steel as it's much cheaper (and of course I'd have to buy a DVD-A player).

I am also looking into a software called "Gear." I got a message from someone at Gear the other day, and he said their package burns DVD-A discs. Whether it authors them, as well, I don't know yet. I need to look into it. As I recall, Gear is only about $130!! Wouldn't that be sweet? :D

Edit: I'd like to add that the newest version of Nero Burning Rom has DVD-A burning greyed out; I wonder if this will be another cheap option soon? Of course, the authoring part probably will be another software package, but if it comes from Nero it should be affordable (and stable), too!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.