Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Questions about DVD-A , DVD-V > DAC

This is a tough question to address as there is no one answer. Much of what you are asking is disc not format dependent.

1) Not all DVD-A's have an LPCM track. If they do they may be 24/48 instead of 24/96. There may or may not be anything on the packaging to indicate if the track exists and, if so, at what resolution. The new Fleetwood Mac does not have this track as far as I can tell. It has 5.1 and 2.0 DD tracks on the video directory. I believe the LPCM track can be passed to the outboard DAC via digital, but I can't swear to it.

2) True the hi-rez tracks cannot currently be passed through to an outboard DAC.

3) The DTS 5.1 discs you are seeing may be CD's where the signal needs to be decoded so won't work with an outboard DAC. True DVD-V music videos may have the LPCM track but the same problems with DVD-A's would apply here.

I'm sure this has made everything as clear as mud and maybe someone else can explain better.

Bruce

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.