Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Questions about DVD-A , DVD-V > DAC

I recently purchased my first outboard 24/192-capable DAC, and while it certainly does improve my redbook CD playback I am blown away by my personally-recorded 24/96 material. I'd like to play with 24 bit commercial audio material.

To that end, I have some questions.

1) I currently have a Sony DVD-V player that will output up to 24/96 out coax (but no DVD-A), but am considering the purchase of a DVD-A player in the future, and would like to build a bit of a library first. I have been looking at DVD-A's in the stores, and I see they have a DVD-V-playable layer on them. What world length and sample rate are these, and is there copy protection of some sort that kills the digital out to my DAC?

2) In the future, if I buy a DVD-A player, and play the "advanced resolution" layer, this will NOT be able to be output to my DAC, correct?

3) The local shops have all sorts of DVD-V music discs mixed in with the DVD-A's. Some of these say DTS5.1, others say Dolby Digital. I assume these are just like standard DVD's, with a 24/48 or somesuch LPCM track on them? What word length and sample rate are typical here? There are some titles I'd like to see just for the video content (Norah Jones' newest, and I'm a big deadhead LOL), but if the audio is 16/44 or won't play via digi out, I don't want them. Just wondering what to expect from these types of discs.

Any information you guys could share would be great! I am very new to hirez digital, I have been staying out of the "format wars" for a long time. But after hearing my personal live concert 24/96 recordings, I realize it's time to pick a format!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Questions about DVD-A , DVD-V > DAC - ducati 10:48:03 04/23/03 (82)

You can not post to an archived thread.