Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

How to sell a product

Is the name of the game. Hi Res is not all that interesting to the large labels unless it can generate sales. My prediction is that SACD will become the 'Audiophile' format mostly from small labels - think 'gold disk' or 'XRCD' type market.

Flipper DVD-As will become the popular format from the large labels. Reasons I believe this will happen?

1) DVD-Vs are already popular and become more so - average consumers will purchase something with extras.

2) CDPs are becoming obsolete in the mainstream consumers mind - DVD players are 'good enough'.

3) The ability to process DVD-As will become a 'free' feature - new DVD players released during the next 12 months (or so) will include the DVD-A processing.

4) The flipper disk will allow single product - Sale of material will not be as DVD-A but will be as CD. DVD-A will be an 'extra' in very much the same way SACD is an extra on the recent popular re-issues of DSotM and Rolling Stones (come on, the average consumer at Costco buying DSotM for SACD? I don't think so!).

5) Surround sound will appeal to many people - just another 'extra' that can be promoted on the package.

To summarize, one disk, one package, one promotion - covers all consumers with CD, DVD-V, and DVD-A.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.