Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Two dozen "truly excellent" DVD-As do not justify format adoption IMHO...

Your definition of "truly excellent" MC recordings may not match my own. And BTW, I still prefer 2-channel to MC for most recordings I have listened to (DSOTM being a notable exception); perhaps due to unidentical amp/speaker combinations for the center/rears - which issue I am still trying to find a solution for.

I bought into SACD because the player appeared to be an excellent CD transport (as opposed to DVD-V player I had been using) in addition to experimenting with hi-rez (ironically, looking at Fleetwood Macs "Rumours" and the other DVD-As at BB got me started looking for better digital sources). Than listening to SACD resulted in an SACD buying spree for 2-channel music, resulting in a collection probably exceeding 100 multichannel(MC)-capable titles as a side "benefit".

A close-out sale on an alleged "statement" MC SACD player (Philips SACD1000) got me a relatively cheap hi-rez MC source.

I'll admit to getting a bit rash on a pure analog MC preamp. But there were few products out there to support 2x6 analog bypass preamp capability (to support HT, MC SACD, and possibly DVD-A). Fortunately, I bought into a relatively expensive solution (for my budget) which also resulted in a quantum leap in 2-channel preamp performance in my system.

I now need only a DVD-A capable source player to give me DVD-A playback capability. I'm loath to try this "half-baked" with a cheap DVD-A player and the expense for the "better" DVD-A players (e.g. Meridian) is not justified by the available software (YMMV). Maybe when I splurge on near-SOTA DVD-V playback....

The Hi-rez music DVD-As do include a 24/96 DVD-V layer so I may try more of these in the interim.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Two dozen "truly excellent" DVD-As do not justify format adoption IMHO... - oscar 17:21:22 04/16/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.