Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

There are many who feel that ALL CDPs sound the same, when running w/i spec.........

but I've heard too many nice CDPs on the same system over many hours to know that they don't sound the same and that they're all running as intended, so what's what?

I have some low budget stuff, so I think that I can speak to how it sounds and there are tangible reasons for it NOT to sound as nice as some of the better rendered machines.

As far as the extras go with DVDA, can't argue with you there as SACD hasn't included any visuals on their discs.

"I honestly believe that the added value of any technology should be self evident for the end user even at a low price point (provided it has reached mass market production and prices)."

Since both formats are MUSIC discs and since a lot 'what's better and what's not' is subjective and since critical listening is a learned trait, I don't know if this holds true in audio. Many people, who have been tested relative to sound reproduction answer when questioned, that things that sound louder are perceived to sound BETTER to their ears and we both know that's not the case.

It's like giving different bottles of fine French wines to people who are used to an occassional glass of Gallo and asking them to differentiate between the samples telling us what they tasted in each. We'd probably get "it tastes fruitier than the next, or is less sour on the tongue." There's no vocabulary built up and in the context of professional wine tasting, the opinions mean very little. With stereos and the masses, if it plays louder and goes thump, thump, thump, then it'll probably gets the thumbs up.

My point with Kuma was that she bought a crappy Sony SACD player and ran it within a very nice system and felt that SACD lacked lower level dynamics and didn't cut the mustard, in general, against DVDA. I would be remiss if I judged DVDA solely on the $428 Denon 1600 DVDV/DVDA player that I'm using right now, as it wouldn't be fair. At a list price of $550, it might at best contain $50-$75 worth of parts.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.