Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: So, I've finally listened to the DVD-A version of...

Decent remastering work can make miracles.

According to the linked review by Felix E. Martinez:

"Some erroneous technical information regarding the DVD-Audio version of The Nightfly has been floating around the Internet of late; namely, that the sampling rate was kept at 24-bit/48khz to avoid sample rate conversion from the original digital master tapes. While the DVD- Audio's sampling rate is indeed close to the native sampling rate of the original recording, there was a slight conversion. According to the album's engineer, Roger Nichols, The Nightfly was recorded on a 32 track 3M machine at 16-bit/50khz. Nichols did the tape transfers for the DVD-Audio disc from the original 3M machine (which he still has) to 24-bit/48khz Pro Tools using Apogee converters. The 5.1 mix was then done by Elliot Scheiner on a Neve analog console at Presence Studio in Connecticut. The result is a prime example of the glossy, "Steely Dan sound" – a pristine mix with airy highs, a nice dynamic range, and a dry, uncluttered ambience."

Anyway, I'm tempted to buy this disc.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: So, I've finally listened to the DVD-A version of... - Zoltan 23:17:50 04/11/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.