Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Can't comment on specific titles, but...

First, I'd like to say that I really enjoy that player, eversince I've had it.. My only concern with it is the dreaded 30-odd track limit, which prevents me from playing some discs on it.

About Bass Management:

The main problem with the Marantz DV-8300 is not exactly with bass management with MCH tracks, it is more when I use "direct" stereo from my Marantz (AV9000) pre-amp, because all frequencies get directed to the main small Boston speakers. The sound is excellent (considering the price), but lacks serious bass. This shouldn't be a real issue for people with good full-range speakers.

I have found a compromise with bass management: since I cannot set my front speakers to "small" due to default settings, I use the second input on my REL Q150e subwoofer, so all low frequencies below 58/60 Hz are directed to the sub even when the sub channel is disactivated (not all subwoofers have this dual input). The integration between the Boston and the REL sub is pretty good.

Again, this is a low-end setup, and it works fine in my environment, but YMMV quite a bit.

PS: stay clear of the time alignment and level adjustment of that player, and you will do just fine. I ended up using manual level controls on my MM9000 (located at the rear) and now I'm a happy camper.

PS2: now that I have the A10 also, there's many times when I actually prefer to use the A10 for a good warm feeling on a stereo DVD-A or even a CD. I think that machine has a very good jazz feeling to it. You get used to the clicking, just like the old family clock in the living room.

Best

Eric

PS: if anyone has a good pair of used full-range speakers to sell or trade, please contact me

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Can't comment on specific titles, but... - Eric LeRouge 11:13:23 04/11/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.