Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: DVD-A 2 ch. stereo mix ? Which way to go ?

Hi Wayne,

DVD-A often has a 2C mix in addition to a MC mix. On older disks these are 'groups' that you need to be able to switch to the group you want. The player will make that easier or more difficult – sometimes to the requirement of viewing a connected screen to change the group through the menus. For the players, I can only speak to the Meridian 598 which makes it easy. Unfortunately, most disks will default to MC – an annoyance to me.

All MC disks should be able to downmix into 2C. This, I believe, is configurable within the player (such as the Meridian 598) but maybe someone else with more experience with other setups will answer. The downmix of MC into 2C is not as good as the pure 2C mix to my ear.

Finally, the DVD-A recording standard (?) is suppose to be changing from using the groups. What this means is that you will be able to change from MC to 2C using the ‘Audio’ button on the player. This is the same as when viewing movies with multiple audio tracks where you can toggle through them.

A very nice DVD-A site:

http://www.dvd-a.dk/start.php?Lang=1&PHPSESSID=9b370df5e89cd3fc3f3a3c9eb23ae60b

A multi-format machine would be desirable as the material available on each format is different. You may want to sample material in each format to see if the 'format war' applies to you (don't like one of the formats). Multi-format players will likely have a compromise in one of the formats (CD, SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V) so research and listening will be in order.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: DVD-A 2 ch. stereo mix ? Which way to go ? - RdH 05:32:00 04/09/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.