Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Only if those are PCM files

Michi,

The limitation is 30 to 34 files (sometimes less) in Group 1, but only if they are PCM files (WAV or AIFF).
If the files are encoded in MLP, no problem at all. As soon as you have more than one group, you can have more files in total. So in practice, this is almost never a limitation for commercial titles, which have several groups and are encoded in MLP for MCH tracks. Some commercial titles also have limitations, and the pulishers group the number of tracks into larger tracks (1-4, 5-8, etc). The Teldec Matthaus Passion is an interesting example of structure.

This is definitely a limitation of Pioneer models (including universal players like Marantz and Onkyo), because other brands like Toshiba, Technics, Panasonic, etc, do not have that problem. I don't know about the Yamaha and the new Denon.

Best

Eric

PS; I discovered very recently that the limitation of the number of files in a group (the DVD-A spec allows for up to 99 tracks in a single group) actually includes each file of multichannel tracks (1 track in 5.1 = 6 files). So, in effect, if you do not use MLP, the number of multichannel tracks allowed is actually much lower. I'll post something about this soon, as I am still checking with various combinations.

I suspect the Pioneer software problem is somehow related to this.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Only if those are PCM files - Eric LeRouge 02:16:28 04/09/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.