Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Groups & front panel display

I've got a 45A. These answers should also apply to the 47Ai since it has basically the same display & menu system.

The Pioneer can switch groups without going through the on screen menus, but not while it's playing. You have to fully stop playback and then select the group you want using the appropriate number key on the remote. It has to be fully stopped because if you use the number keys while an on screen menu is displayed, it selects the corresponding menu entry instead of the group. For the discs authored with groups, the surround mix is usually group 1 and the stereo mix is usually group 2. About 2/3 of the discs I have are authored this way. The other 1/3 are authored to the new spec with everything in one group. On these discs, you can switch between stereo and multichannel on the fly using the AUDIO button on the remote.

The front panel display will only tell you what group & track you are playing and the elapsed or remaining time for the track or group. It will indicate whether you have a CD, SACD, DTS CD, or DVD disc loaded. But the 5.1 indicator will show up for all DVD-A and DVD-V material, regardless of what DVD-A mix you happen to be playing. More detailed information such as which channels are active, the sample size & rate, and the disk transfer rate are only available from the on screen display.

As far as sound quality goes, I can't really help you too much since I haven't heard the Technics player and my 45A is used in a mid-fi home theater system. But my impression is that its performance on DVD-A material is pretty decent. On the other hand, its SACD performance is a little disappointing. I briefly hooked up an SACD-1000 in the same system to compare and it easily smoked the Pioneer 45A.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Groups & front panel display - Dave Kingsland 08:36:43 04/06/03 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.