Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

View from a Non-combatant

In these Format Wars I am an interested neutral. I realize some of you are having a great time in the trenches but I must appologise for skipping your skirmishes.

I am really thrilled with some of the new releases on both SACD and DVD-A. For so long, the CD Redbook quality was poor to fair quality and it seemed that collecting old vinyl of great performances wasn't so unappealing after all.

Now I am finding really exciting performances of "dead-white-man" music in recordings that really sparkle and sweep me away to the performance hall. Thanks to people here and on that other site, I have found labels that I would never have known about. OK, some of it (much of it?) is less than first class music making but there truly are gems.

I am encouraged that these two formats are bringing some excitement and great music to us. Even the re-tooled ol' rock stuff is fun. The Dead weren't a LITTLE out of tune, were they?!

As for the War, well, in my humble opinion, the level of recording quality is overwhelming the inherent differences in quality of the two formats. That was true of Redbook and, of course, vinyl. That may not change and we may never know who won (technically). Guessing the future of the marketplace for a winner is pure fantasy, but I realize everybody has hobbies . . .

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - View from a Non-combatant - BobH 08:10:00 04/03/03 (5)

You can not post to an archived thread.