Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Panasonic DVD-S97 review

*** Not if one either adheres to the rules of English grammar OR Boolean logic. ;-) ***

No, you don't understand. I stated two conditions by which I will review a product. Both those conditions were upheld for this particular instance (at least in spirit - I can explain further, but it would need to be by private email).

*** That should have been covered in your review. ***

Why? It's not in the review template, which I have to adhere to. The review template never asked me to measure the frequency response of Dolby Pro Logic decoding, so I didn't.

*** I've seen Paul Miller's plots for the Denon DVD-A11, it's flat all the way out to the Nyquist limits of the sample rate in use. ***

Can you provide a link to this?

*** Nice get-out Christine! :-) ***

No, I was simply telling the truth. It works both ways. For example, even if the frequency response extended to beyond 20 kHz, it does not necessarily mean the processing was done at greater than 48 kHz. For example, some filtering algorithms deliberately introduce ultrasonic noise beyond Nyquist - read the Cirrus Logic paper on this. And the Panasonic has a "slow" filter implementation, which means it is capable of this.

But I wouldn't be surprised if a Dolby Pro Logic II implementation implements a 20kHz filter even at high resolution. If you recall, the original Dolby Pro Logic algorithm filters the rear channels down to 12 kHz because they interfere with the steering logic. Dolby literature states that PLII is transparent to 20kHz, but they never imply there is no filtering beyond 20kHz.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Panasonic DVD-S97 review - Christine Tham 12:14:11 01/04/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.