Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Charles I have found some links to help you understand HDCD better:

Charles Christine and my reading comprehension are fine, it is you that is having trouble grasping the concepts of HDCD. So I will try to help you.

You said: If an "HDCD" disc is recorded without the mastering engineer activating the "peak extend" and "low level extension" features, THEN THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ADVANTAGE TO USING AN HDCD DECODER.

Sorry Charles your statement is very incorrect, see highlighted text below from HDCD.com FAQs:

Q: Why should I listen to HDCD-encoded CDs on a player with HDCD decoding?

A: HDCD recordings will always sound better than conventional CDs when played on any CD player. You hear fuller, richer sound on all types of players, from portables to high-end systems, which is why so many top artists and engineers use HDCD technology. To bring out the full bandwidth and superb fidelity of HDCD recordings, a player with HDCD decoding should be used . HDCD recordings have a dynamic range and resolution and, best of all, the HDCD decoder chip used in consumer products also contains the HDCD high-precision digital filter that improves the sound quality of all types of digital audio recordings. This means that any A/V receiver, CD player, DVD player, and MiniDisc player equipped with HDCD will produce significantly better sound from your entire collection of CDs, DVDs, and MDs.

from Spectral Audio.com

HDCD recordings are made from analog to digital conversions having more bits and faster sampling to provide a large amount of dynamic and resolution information. Digital signal processors then identify corrective actions or fixes to prevent losses and distortions when this information is reduced to the CD format. Some of these fixes are directly coded to the linear PCM data of the compact disc thereby improving performance from all players. Others are converted to a hidden code and sent through a buried information channel to the HDCD process chip in the SDR-2000. Upon processing, the normally lost micro level resolution signals are restored. This improved resolution requires conversion accuracy and jitter performance much better than traditional engineering and design practice. A very carefully and thoroughly executed process system is needed to fully utilize the HDCD filter technology.

Also from Reference Recordings.com:

However, the finest levels of resolution, imaging and spatial information will be revealed when these CDs are reproduced on players with HDCD decoding ...

You also said "Contrary to Christine's assertion. There are NOT multiple filters that switch on-the-fly in an HDCD decoder. This means that one of Christine's claims for the benefits of HDCD decoding does not actually exist.

For this I was unable to find a link, for some reason Microsoft has nixed most of the technical articles on the internet. I guess Bill Gates wants to make sure no one can copy the process? However I can assure you that HDCD does use multiple filters in the encoding process that are hidden in the LSB along with "extra" musical and ambient information. To retrieve it, you need an HDCD decoder to mirror the opposite of what the HDCD encoder did.

If you don't trust yourself to hear the extra 6dB of dynamic range "Peak Extend" affords, Christine has the equipment to measure it. BTW all of Reference Recordings HDCDs use both Peak Extend and low level Extend. But even without those two features you will miss the extra resolution of HDCD by not using an HDCD decoder prior to playback, all HDCDs, especially those from Reference Recordings, Linn Records, First Impression Music and Opus 3 need an HDCD decoder to get the full benefit of the extra resolution the process offers.

HDCD discs SHOULD use HDCD decoding every time to hear the recording as the engineer intended.

Hope this helps,
Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.