Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

I stand corrected

I looked up the details on the No 360, and you are correct. The HDCD decdoding was implemented in Analog Devices DSP chips. I was not aware that this was possible at that time. (It is relatively commonplace now.) Following is the chronology of our development work on the CX-7:

- When we first began development work, we were considering using the PMD-100 decoder chip. However, its discontinuance was announced early on in our project's lifespan.

- The successor PMD-200 was then announced. We considered using it also, but before we could get samples they announced it was also being discontinued.

- Resolution Audio is an HDCD licensee. They use a Motorola DSP chip to perform their digital filtering functions. Jeff Kalt told me at the time that Pacific Microsonics/Microsoft would not release the HDCD code to him for incorporation in his DSP chip.

I understood that to mean that they would not release the code at all, but obviously that was not the case. Apparently they released the code to Analog Devices who could then offer a DSP chip with HDCD decoding to Levinson.

Thank you for clarifying these facts. If there are other incorrect statements I've made in this thread, I would be glad to have them also corrected.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I stand corrected - Charles Hansen 09:48:09 12/21/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.