Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Reading comprehension an issue?

1) Christine, you claim that "HDCD encodes command packets in the LSB of the sample stream. There are commands for filter selection, all this is fully documented."

I have looked at the data sheets for the PMD-100 and PMD-200, as well as the AES paper. They make no mention of this feature in the data sheets, and only a vaguely worded (and possibly misleading) mention in the AES paper. If there are multiple digital filters inside the PMD-100 selectable by sub-code commands, this is news to me. Please refer me to the "document" that supports your claim.

2) It's really swell that "TI and Cirrus Logic have DSPs that support HDCD decoding, along with higher sample rates for normal PCM" now. I can assure you that they did not in 1998 when we were developing the Ayre D-1 DVD player.

Furthermore, the *only* way to decode HDCD when we were developing the CX-7 was the Burr-Brown PCM1732 (now discontinued), which is a decidedly mediocre sounding part. The PMD-100 had been discontinued as it was developed on a 0.6 micron (IIRC) process that was no longer supported by the fab house that Pacific Microsonics chose. They announced the PMD-200, but never shipped more than sample quantities before discontinuing it.

3) "I've even posted the exact process for decoding HDCD using WMP a few months ago on this very forum." I searched for posts by "Christine Tham" with the terms "HDCD" or "WMP" on this very forum since May 1 and found nothing relevant. If you have a link, I would be interested to read about your method.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.