Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Yikes!

*** There are many implementations of HDCD playback. ***

Good, we agree.

*** There are only one-and-a-half implementations of HDCD encoding ***

But there's nothing preventing future implementations that are not designed by Keith, since the technology is owned by Microsoft, and they can license it to anyone.

And last time you said HDCD was "A really good sounding A/D converter designed by Keith Johnson".

Can I suggest "one-and-a-half" is greater than "one"? So you are contradicting yourself.

*** I'll say it again, as you didn't seem to catch it the first time. The main reason that HDCD sounds good has *very little* to do with the compansion that is alleged to be the heart of the HDCD process. ***

For reference, this is the full text of what I originally said, which you think somehow "misses the point":

*** One disadvantage of listening to HDCDs without the decoder is that on some discs (which have been encoded with "Peak Extend") you will lose about 6dB of dynamic range (ie. peaks between 0 to -6 dBFS will be "compressed").

However, not all discs are encoded with Peak Extend. The Joni Mitchell ones are, but the Mike Oldfield ones aren't, and they are the only two artists I have on HDCD. ***

Where in this text do I imply that HDCD quality is related to "the compansion that is alleged to be the heart of the HDCD process"?

I simply pointed a specific feature of HDCD called Peak Extend that will not be decoded properly by a non-HDCD player.

You, on the other hand, said that HDCD was "A compansion (compression/expansion) system that worked perfectly." (which implies that HDCD is nothing but a compansion system, which is not true). So, the only person you are calling out "wrong" is your own self.

*** In fact, the compansion can be switched off by the mastering engineer. ***

In fact, aren't you just repeating what I said? *** "Peak Extend" is another HDCD command, and it can be turned on or off at will. ***

*** Good sounding analog circuits, clocks, power supplies, et cetera designed by Keith Johnson. ***

But you've already said that "There are many implementations of HDCD playback." In particular, not all of them are designed by Keith Johnson, so again you are contradicting yourself.

*** And if you stop to think about it for a second, you will realize that exactly zero of these sonic benefits require HDCD capabilities by the playback machine. ***

But if you stop to think about it for a second, you will realise ONE sonic benefit, which is Peak Extend, DOES require HDCD capabilities by the playback machine. Which was my point in the first place, hence my post.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.