Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

No Charles, you are simply repeating what I said but not quite correctly

So if I am somehow "missing the point", then so are you.

"Peak Extend" (TM) is the actual term used in HDCD technical literature for a specific HDCD playback function, I did not invent it. Go and read the literature yourself.

And your description of HDCD is incorrect, or at best incomplete. To put it simply, HDCD is NOT "a really good sounding A/D converter designed by Keith Johnson" - HDCD is (nowadays) a technology owned by Microsoft, and they are not in the business of manufacturing A/D converters.

The implementation of HDCD playback consists of Ethernet-like command "packets" encoded in the LSB of digital samples. These "commands" allow the player to dynamically switch between three alternate digital filters on playback. Although it is true that many players implement these filters using the Pacific Microsonics IC, in theory you can implement these filters yourself.

"Peak Extend" is another HDCD command, and it can be turned on or off at will. As I've pointed out, it's use is optional, and not all HDCD titles use it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.