Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Apology accepted..now, on to auto surround systems

No problem...thanks for the apology...accepted. :>)

As for true multichannel surround in the car: I have a nice BMW 540i (decent stereo) currently that goes out of lease in March. I have these three cars in my sights (and ears) and am posting a "review" of their audio surround over at the Quad forum once I get a listen to all three. As far as driving machines, all three are very very worthy:
a) Acura RL (Bose 10 speaker surround that plays DVD-Audio hi-rez, DTS 5.1, etc). I heard this one so far and it's great. Even plays Talking Heads Brick DVD-A layer of Dualdisc. I think the Bose system in the Infiniti below is basically the same foundation.
b) Lexus GS series (option: Mark Levenson 7.1 channel surround with 14 speakers and DTS 5.1, Dolby 5.1 and supposedly DVD-Audio 5.1, although not sure that the DVD-Audio "comaptibility" doesn't mean reading the video_ts layer). This ML option available in the Lexus IS series as well. Will test drive/listen on Monday, and test for true hirez, although in an auto environment it's somewhat nit picking, possibly.
c) Infiniti M series (option: Bose Studio Surround with 14 speakers "including personal surround speakers embedded in the shoulders of each front seat. SurroundStageâ„¢ digital processing creates a truly immersive multi-channel sound experience for every passenger. The system accepts a variety of formats, including DVD-Audio, DVD-Video and DTS in the vehicle's DVD player in addition to standard CDs and CD-R and CD-RW discs encoded with MP3 and WMA files. Bose Centerpointâ„¢ signal processing circuitry can even simulate surround sound with stereo or 2-channel CDs"

I'll report back. Frankly, the car environment is a perfect fit for mulitchannel music, and these higher end car companies have figured it out.

Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.