Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Actually...

I did more reading on the Sony Trojan. There are actually two programs involved. The trojan itself and a media player called Music Player. Music Player is required to play the Sony discs on a computer. Everytime you play one of these it "phones home" to Sony. It can be used to determine what music you play on your computer and when. Even after you delete the Trojan, Music Player remains and it continues to phone home When you use it to play music. Most reputable antispyware programs, including the Window antispyware program avialable for free will delete the trojan, but some leave music player on the system. Unlike the trojan, Music Player is not stealthed and can be removed with Windows Add-Remove programs.

Several states (including my home state of Texas) are currently suing Sony for violation of state law.

If you have the Sony trojan on your system, DO NOT USE THE REMOVAL PROGRAM THEY SUPPLY. It leaves traces of the program and security holes on your system. Use a commercial antispyware program. I use Webroot SpySweeper, which won Editors Choice for PC Magazine.

One simple way to guard against future attempts such as this is to disable autorun on your system. But you will have to open your meda player and start the discs instead of having them play automatically.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Actually... - Pacman 15:25:25 12/09/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.