Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: DVD video players and s/pdif output

Benchmark Media has stated that the Panasonic S47 outputs 24-bit data at up to 192kHz (link below). If you search on my handle here, you'll find a thread I participated in where another user confirmed with Panasonic that one of their newer units performs the same.

In the category of unconfirmed web gossip: I've read that you won't be getting 24-bit output from some (many?) inexpensive DVD-A units that claim 96kHz capability. Supposedly, PCM output is limited to 16-bits even when playing a 24-bit track from a DVD-V spec disc - it's a hardware shortcut to meet the DVD-A "requirement" to throttle hi-res output.

Assuming there's any truth to that... you just might be better off seeking a DVD-V only player that advertises 24/96 digital to play your homemade discs.

All things considered, it seems pretty hard to be sure just what one is getting via the digital output without a DAC that confirms both word length and sample rate. Sheesh...

Anyway, good luck!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: DVD video players and s/pdif output - Beauregard 08:55:19 12/05/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.