Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Golden age of stereo not really golden?

Tube sound could be one factor, but once the tube sound is IN the recording, would it not remain there, even in today's SACDs?

You have a good point in mike distances. It's so unnatural to hear a person sing with the mike next to their lips. Possibly that generation of engineers being more exposed to natural, un-miked sounds reproduced the same in their recordings. Now most people are more exposed to miked sounds than un-miked. Maybe thats why recordings are getting more and more unnatural and compressed. Electronic sound re-enforcement is so common in meetings even if the group size is small! Lot of modern music does not work without amplification. Our ears are forgetting what pure sound & voice sounds like :-( This will probably get worse as lo-rez MP3s & cell phones proliferate. Reporters of our local radio stations often call the stations with their cell phones with the latest live news or do interviews with a MP3 recorder using the inbuilt mike. This usually sounds so distorted and unnatural that often I HAVE TO turn off the radio, even if it is useful news.

Double pay after two hours of work! That sounds cool. My office would not pay me extra even when I worked extra hours because the project deadline was close and often they knowingly came up with infeasible commitments to the client.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Golden age of stereo not really golden? - The Sound Guy 21:43:12 12/03/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.