Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Glad I could help. Also I need to make one correction:

Hi folks,

I'm running a cheap DVD-Video player and I reckon on 96/24 discs it beats/would beat my Musical Fidelity Elektra E600 CD player in overall musicality on just about any CD (haven't listened to my entire CD collection yet...). May not have the refinement or bass, but has more music in there.

Examples of disc with 96/24 2Ch LPCM DVD-Video tracks:

- Neil Young - Greatest Hits (CD + DVD) - DVD-V 96/24 tracks are Very Good, but the up to 35yo tapes were probably deteriorating a bit. Analogue masters except the final 2 tracks (44/16 upconverted). 2004 release. Not DVD-A.

- Neil Young - Prairie Wind (CD + DVD) - DVD-V 96/24 tracks are Excellent. Analogue master. New release. Not DVD-A.

- Queen - The Game (DVD-A) - The DVD-Video 96/24 tracks are very good. Freddie's lisp not always well captured though. Master for the DVD-V stereo track only was "1/4inch analogue mix master" (I assume is the same 2 ch master that would have been used for the original LP and CD releases)(orig 1979/80). FYI - the multichannel DVD-A 96/24 and DTS 96/24 tracks were taken from the original 2 inch analogue multitracks, first to 192/24 then to 96/24. There is no DVD-A 192/24 stereo track though.

- Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View (DVD-A) - DVD-Video 96/24 tracks are very good. Voice a trifle fuzzy though. Two-sided disc. Master type not known (orig 1994).

========

- The Best of REM - In Time 1988-2003 (CD + DVD-A) - Does *not* have a DVD-Video track , but I'd like to hear opinions on the apparently 192/24 DVD-A track (192/24 according to one website, but not stated anywhere in or on the disc I could see).
I can play the DD2.0 track - on a quick check sounded generally better than the CD quality to me, except at the top end.
This is an inadequately/confusingly labelled disc imho - front sticker said "Special CD + DVD", while the printing on the back said "DVD-Audio Advanced Resolution Surround and Stereo", no mention of resolution. No mention of master type I could see.

Cheers,
Gerry
(Lost-in_space)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Glad I could help. Also I need to make one correction: - Lost_in_space 01:26:59 11/27/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.