Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Yes, and here are some further thoughts...

so I hope you're still reading this thread :-)

1) LSB tone (kinda like the NAB test disc); 1 LSB @ 24,48, 96 kHz. Perfect for testing player S/N ratio without allowing the DAC to mute. Well, OK, the tone itself will contribute to the noise, but at what is it, -144 dB, practically speaking it doesn't matter

2) 1 kHz or similar* tone modulated onto a very low frequency tone (0.1 Hz?). A Denon disc had this, and the VLF tone then caused the higher frequency tone to "sweep through all the bits" (my mental impression) and let you hear nonlinearities. (*maybe 400 Hz is less painful?)

3) A better noise modulation signal than the Stereophile test CD. Those tracks are cool, but way too short. (John Atkinson told me due to total disc length problems). They don't allow enough settling time for the filters on an Audio Precision to average.

4) some kind of "BOOM" with a long smooth reverb tail. Don Dorsey's "Ascent" on Telarc once let me show some "don't they all sound the same" unbelievers why the Magnavox CDB-650 I had at the time was superior to all the other stuff sitting around at work. You could clearly hear big differences in the LF reverb tail.

Good luck, and if you actually get into production reply below so I can see your message!

Cheers,
H.U.

3)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Yes, and here are some further thoughts... - head_unit 23:31:39 11/21/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.