Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Talking Heads Brick Authoring Question

>> Could very well be the reason that many many DVD-A players freeze up/ don't play this DualDisc DVD-A. <<

Slight exaggeration to say: "many many . . .".
Actually, the players I know of which don't recognise the latest spec (used on 'Brick') are these:-

~ Pioneer 563a & 578a & 588a
~ Oppo DV971
~ Yamaha C-6770 / C750
~ Onkyo DV-SP502

I understand they all share the same firmware fault.

The most numerous of this bunch are the Pioneers listed above. Other Pioneers, such as the DV-45a have no problem at all with Brick. I know that the 563a works fine with Brick, but only after the firmware upgrade. Presumably the others would too.

F.Y.I. Here is Rhino/Warner's response to the issue, to a poster called "Mr Lambert" on another forum:-

"The Talking Heads DualDiscs were tested and passed QA on a matrix of 66 players at Intellikey. The Yamaha DVD-C750 is not on that list. From time to time we come across DVD players that are not entirely compliant to the DVD-A specification. This may be one of those players. We are certain that the discs (and the mastering) are not the problem, as the masters have passed physical QA and electronic DVD specification image verification processes. That's another way of saying: "the discs are correct".

The DVD-Audio specification underwent a major "easing up" with respect to backwards compatability in early 2004. At that time, we saw a couple of players that were not equipped to cope with this technical change. In particular, we contacted Pioneer regarding their DVD 563A player, and Pioneer corrected their firmware to meet the specification. They subsequently offered a free firmware upgrade to their existing DVD 563A owners. This may be the type of approach we can take with the Yamaha player if this is the source of Mr. Lambert's issues."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Talking Heads Brick Authoring Question - Martin419 08:17:52 11/15/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.