Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

DVD-Audio Authoring is Stupid

The short answer is that the C-5xe will play what you want on the AIX discs. Just go to Group 2 by pressing the "2" button on the remote when the disc is stopped.

The long answer is that there are four groups in the DVD_Audio TS:

Group 1 = 96/24 MLP 5.1 "Audience" Mix
Group 2 = 96/24 PCM 2.0 Stereo Mix
Group 3 = Dolby Digital 5.1 "Audience" Mix
Group 4 = DTS 5.1 "Stage" Mix

All of these will play on the C-5xe, with the multi-channel versions being downmixed in the player to stereo.

The wacky thing is that there are also two separate Soundtracks within both Groups 3 and 4. These are 96/24 PCM stereo tracks, although I would assume that they are different mixes than what is found in Group 2 (I didn't listen). Even crazier is that both Groups 3 and 4 default to Soundtrack 2. This is correct for Group 4 because the DTS track is there, but the Dolby Digital track is on Soundtrack 1 of Group 3, so the only way to listen to it (presumably on any player) is to manually navigate to Soundtrack 2.

The DVD_Video TS appears to have the same content as the last three groups (of course the MLP is not valid for DVD-V), partitioned into Titles 1 - 3. The exact same navigational quirks as described above are there also.

I don't know how the data is stored on the disc (which was a separate question from the old thread).

Hope this helps...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.