Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Is anyone interested in a DVD-Audio disc containing test signals?

I'm in the process of finalizing the authoring of a DVD-Audio disc containing test signals. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I would also welcome suggestions on format and content. I'm planning on making this disc available (plus full instructions on how to use it) for about US$10-15 - is this a reasonable amount to ask (I have spent a LOT of time on this, and you will appreciate the cost is basically to cover my effort in copying and shipping the disc, I don't think I'll get rich on this!) As a comparison, the CBS Test CD (containing only a subset of the signals I intend to offer) typically sells for US$45.

What will the disc contain?
- Full set of all test signals from the EIA 560 standard (with the exception of the pre-emphasis test tones which are relevant only for CD) plus the additional two tracks suggested by CBS
- Audio Rightmark calibration and test tones, to allow you to use Audio Rightmark to measure the performance of your player
- Full set of signals suitable for testing for player handling of 0dBFS+ waveforms, in accordance with the AES paper

And best of all, the above test signals will be presented in multiple resolutions (stored as different groups): 44.1/24, 48/24 and 96/24. I'm not planning on 192/24 at present, but interested in your feedback.

All test signals will stored as uncompressed (linear) PCM on the disc - no MLP will be used.

The disc will not be CPPM protected or watermarked.

As a bonus, I'm also thinking of including a group containing multichannel 5.1 test signals (at 48/24) suitable for speaker level setting, frequency response and phase measurement. Finally, you can calibrate your DVD-Audio player based on an actual DVD-Audio disc rather than based on compressed audio!

I'm also thinking of making a CD version of the test disc, containing the same content (plus the pre-emphasis test tones) available. Quite possibly the CD and DVD-Audio could be packaged as as two disc set, or perhaps sold separately. I can also make a DVD-Video version available (but only 48/24 and 96/24 since DVD-Video does not support 44.1/24).

Each test signal has been meticulously mastered for maximum accuracy and minimising quantization error - so I can guarantee that a sine wave at -80.77dB will actually be that level rather than somewhere around the vicinity. I have found a technique for doing this that yields better results than most of the software based signal generators I've played with.

Anyway, your feedback and potential interest will be appreciated. My apologies to the Bored for the slightly commercial nature of this post - I can assure you I'm doing this primarily as a labour of love rather than a serious intent to push my "products."

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Is anyone interested in a DVD-Audio disc containing test signals? - Christine Tham 15:58:31 11/13/05 (29)

You can not post to an archived thread.