Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Franz Ferdinand Dual Disc...

Ok...I've pretty much run through this disc, both sides. The CD layer sounds decent sonically, nothing insipid leaps out at me. There is the usual veiling and minor compression for radio play, that many Alt/Rock albums exhibit, but still pleasant.

I've tried to compare the CD tracks to the 'enhanced stereo' PCM tracks, but it's kind of fruitless on a $200 Toshiba 2200 DVDP. If anything, the CD tracks sound a tad fuller and less hollow, but take this with a grain of salt.

There is no Multi Channel X.1 anything, nor is there DVDA/MLP/PPCM, so be aware before you buy.

On the DVDV side, there are a few worthwhile additives, such as the still gallery, an interview, the video of DO YOU WANT TO, which must be the Top 40 single from this album and then there are some short video snips of studio stuff and the band goofing around and finally the 'enhanced stereo' content.

For the extra buck I paid, I'm happy I got it, but I would obviously have preferred some HiRez content and you MCers would no doubt want some surround mixes, but that's a big negatory on both issues.

As far as this album being superior to their self titled debut, I prefer the latter. However, some of the critics are really giving this sophmore effort high marks. I think the hooks aren't quite as novel, nor are they as searing, in this piece of work, but there are some catchy tunes.

Anyhow, on the Denon 1600, playing the DVD side, with no monitor, it seems to be defaulting to Title 5, whichis the video of DO YOU WANT TO, so I have to figure that one out. My player is set to 2 Channel as a default, but I can't figure out how to access Title 1--the album from the remote. The GROUP button does nothing.

Anyhow, if you're a fan of FF, you'll like this album and for the extra buck, you'll probably want to get the Dual Disc just for the hell of it, but don't expect HiRez content, only a decent sounding ALT album.

Take care, Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Franz Ferdinand Dual Disc... - Chris Garrett 13:08:28 10/20/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.