Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Some corrections to your observations ---

Jimby said 1. There have been millions of Dual Discs sold to date ( I have produced a half dozen or so Dual Disc titles that account for several hundred thousand of that total.) I have never heard of a player spindle breaking due to a Dual Disc. And it's not like I don't keep up on this stuff.

How can you keep track of broken CD, DVD and SACD players? Most people unless they are "in the know" will not know it was a DualDisc that broke their machine so Universal will never hear about these broken players!!!!

Jimby said 2. The Red Book spec allows disc manufacturing tolerances from 1.1mm to 1.5mm. The DVD spec is similar. All players designed to the player manufacturing spec should easily handle discs in this thickness range. In rare cases the tight tolerances of a Dual Disc could expose a player that is not manufactured to spec.

The Red Book spec is 1.2mm, all medium are manufactured to this spec: CD, DVD-Audio, DVD-Video and SACD. There is a tolerance of -.1mm +.3mm built into the to account for irregularities, slightly defective and warped discs and this is where you are getting the 1.1mm to 1.5mm range.

I do know DualDiscs and DVD-Plus are not exactly the same however the DVD side is .6mm and the CD side is .9mm for DVD-Plus and slightly less than .9mm for DualDisc.

Jimby instead of making DualDiscs why not make DVD-Audio + CD two disc packages and none of this issues will be a problem for consumers As they would get a Real DVD-Audio disc that can be loading with plenty on content including DVD-Audio at the highest resolution for both Surround and Stereo, 3 or 4 Videos, web links etc. And the second disc and Real CD that plays in all CD players.

Why not make everyone happy with DVD-Audio (+) CD two disc packages?

Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Some corrections to your observations --- - Teresa 18:07:54 10/12/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.