Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Wrong! CDs are 1.2mm all DVDs including 2 sided 2 layer DVDs, PROOF INSIDE!!!!

Teresa said:

>>All CDs are 1.2mm, all DVD-Videos even 2 sided 2 layers (see chart in link) are 1.2mm, all DVD-Audios are 1.2mm, all SACDs are 1.2mm, but DualDisc is 1.5 - 1.6mm.<<

>>At 1.5mm a DualDisc is at the maximum allowable tolerance and if the disc goes over even a fraction of 1.5mm the spindle will break, as there is no more room. No product in the history of mankind has ever been designed to work at the maximum allowable tolerance and some DualDiscs and DVD Plus are actually thicker than 1.5mm.<<

Teresa, you do have a flair for the dramatic, and while your histrionics are sometimes entertaining, you really don't know what you are talking about.

So some corrections are in order:

1. There have been millions of Dual Discs sold to date ( I have produced a half dozen or so Dual Disc titles that account for several hundred thousand of that total.) I have never heard of a player spindle breaking due to a Dual Disc. And it's not like I don't keep up on this stuff.

2. The Red Book spec allows disc manufacturing tolerances from 1.1mm to 1.5mm. The DVD spec is similar. All players designed to the player manufacturing spec should easily handle discs in this thickness range. In rare cases the tight tolerances of a Dual Disc could expose a player that is not manufactured to spec.

3. All Dual Discs currently on the market are manufactured to a spec that does not exceed 1.5mm. This is easy enough to check with a calibrated digital caliper. I have a handful of dual discs right here, and I will measure them for you.

Bruce Springsteen - Devils and Dust - 1.45mm
Gretchen Wilson - Here for the Party - 1.47mm
Simple Plan- Still Not Getting Any - 1.47mm
NIN -The Downward Spiral -1.48mm

I would measure more UMG Dual Discs for you, but they are all at the office. Every disc I have measured has always been thinner than 1.5mm.

All Dual Discs go through a QC check at the plant to make sure they don't exceed the 1.5mm spec. Discs that exceed the spec are rejected and trashed.

Dual Discs and DVD Plus are not manufactured to the same spec, despite what the Disctronic web site implies.

Dual Disc achieves a thickness under 1.5mm by manufacturing the Red Book layer to a thinner spec than the original spec calls for. In some cases some players may not be able to focus the laser properly to read the Red Book layer. In cases like these, the CD layer will not play on these players, but the player WON'T fly apart, spindles WON'T snap like peanut brittle, and the disc WONT shoot out of the player like a lethal weapon.

So please knock it off with the misinformation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.