Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Listening to two DVD-Audios: Bach/St. Matthew Passion/Harnoncourt (Teldec) and Mozart/Figaro (Naxos)

>> You will note that whenever a feature only works on a particular media type, the manual will always explicitly note the contraint. No constraint means feature is available for all media. <<

The other cheaper Panny players say the ** same thing ** regarding TA. I simply don’t believe that all the TA processing extends to hirez-DVD-Audio. You need real horsepower to do that. You don’t get something for nothing. And the Panny’s simply don’t have the horsepower. [or tell me where the heck it is then?!]. In short, they must be cutting corners. And the manual itself reeks of Japanese-to-English dumbed-down techno-twaddle.

>> *** Uh, so Denon wasted their time by specifying, not one, but TWO 32bit floating-point SHARC DSP processors to do realtime high-sample-rate & 24bit BM & TA for DVD-A? ;-) *** And the point is? <<

The point is that I know Denon has the necessary horsepower to do it properly, unlike the Panny players which are cutting corners. They cut corners with your motor and build, and they’ll have done it with other aspects. But, for the price, Panny offer do good value for money.

>> *** That’s funny, since DPLII works up to 48kHz/16bit.where did you get this? it's certainly not in the manual, which says DPLII works on "all" stereo sources. <<

Of course they would say that. And indeed they can easily downsample the stereo from hires DVDA to 44.1 or 48lkHz for DPLII. And I note they don’t give a freq response spec for the DVD-A - to - DPLII conversion!!

>> *** They absolutely don’t resonate like wood or plasterboard. *** Uhmm, what makes you say so? Really, you say the funniest things sometimes! Do you check any of your assumptions before posting them as "facts"? have you even read articles on room treatments? <<

Density & resonant frequencies ARE related. Unless my university professor got it all wrong. ;-) Anyway, with respect, I’ll take REL’s word over yours. Thank you.

>> *** I simply ** don’t believe ** that you need as many watts as you are implying for yours (or my) normal listening levels. *** Remember the URL to the calculator I posted a while ago.<<

Calculate-away all you want, Christine. As I said, we must agree to disagree here.

>> And m-ch power amps lie. When they say 100W per channel, they mean 100w with just one channel operating. With 5-7 channels all blasting away, the rated power may be as low as 30W - which means it probably starts to clip at 20W! <<

I like your use of the word "Maybe". Gives you a nice getout. But I know what you mean. And indeed, some m-ch amps & receivers actually consume less power at the wall than the combined totals of the max channel ratings! But in my case, the amp I use can draw around a kilowatt of power from the wall without even breaking sweat.
Also, I note that its five channels are "conservatively rated" at 120W RMS each. Moreover, the spec explicitly says that this applies with "all channels driven".
Another thing, normally, with my bass management engaged, most of the heavy stuff goes to the sub. This leaves my amp with much less work to do, and thus more headroom.

>> And it does sound gorgeous! Doesn't stop me from wishing I could turn AL24 off though (and I don't think I can on this player, but I could be wrong.) <<

Hey — It could have been precisely because of the AL24, that the player sounded even more "gorgeous" than it would otherwise have done! :-)

>> *** FWIW my new Storm 5 goes down to 15Hz! *** Have you actually measured what the "real" response is in your room? <<

Well, I played the deepest organ music I could find [Mendelsohn, Peter Hurford, fugues etc.], and believe me, I’ve never heard ** anything ** go so deep as it did on the Storm. And I strictly follow REL’s corner placement instructions for the Storm. (p.s. I used to sing about 10ft away from big organ pipes in the school choir loft — so I do know what to listen for).

>> I have a friend who owns one, and we've listened to it a few times at my place. <<

Oh yes? But I’m still waiting for your detailed review then! No excuse now. ;-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread

You can not post to an archived thread.