Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Bingo -- it's lossy.

Right from the horse's mouth...

"The ReBit process reduces the effective bit-depth of selected channels by resetting the Least-Significant Bits (or LSB - the 24th bit, the 23rd bit, etc.) to zero, either manually or automatically, in 2-bit steps. This reduces the amount of data compression necessary to encode the channel, without reducing the actual number of bits (which is why this is known as "effective bit-depth reduction"). The significance of this is that if the DVD-A player has a "24-bit" indicator, it will stay lit.

ReBit is a "lossy" process, because it reduces the actual bit-depth resolution of one or more channels before encoding (the MLP encoding process itself remains Lossless). If the source material has failed the encode process, the original soundfiles must be altered or be removed from the DVD-Audio disc. In these rare cases, ReBit is an effective solution. "

Luckily it looks like it was desinged as a last resort and most folks probably aren't going to be using it arbitrarily.

I've never had an MLP FIFO failure so I've never had to turn the damn thing on.

... ReBit + Verance ... I dont know... Neither are mandatory. I guess it comes down to 'let your ears be the judge'. I'd have to wonder what Verance at top strength and ReBit at full latitude would really sound like compared to the original. That's another test we could do. (I have access to the Verance encoder as well) A -> verance -> ReBit -> B, compare.

I dont like that one clause though: "The significance of this is that if the DVD-A player has a "24-bit" indicator, it will stay lit." Hurrah for that, I guess.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.