Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Well, it's proprietary...

So which bits its losing and why and when, that's not something that is going to be readily available. We're told it's adaptive, and won't go below 16 bits. Or you can set a hard limit minimum, per channel, anywhere between 16 and 23 bits.

Again, not every recording uses it because it isn't mandatory. By default, from what I can see, the encoder has it off. But since it's encoded in the stream and not flagged, there's no real way to tell if a particular MLP track has been "re-bitted".

Theoretically, it could be "lossless" in that it simply truncates unused zeroes. But I don't think that's how it works. If so, why would the encoder allow thresholds to be set? If it were still lossless, wouldn't it make the maximum-without-loss choice every time?

So I don't think ReBit is lossless. I certainly could do a quick encode and decode and compare if folks were interested. I'm not sure how cool Meridian would be about that though. I wonder if there's any language like that in the licensing agreement. I'd hope not. I'll have to look at that, too, but I don't see how a compare would be a breach of that.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.