Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

DVD-A and PCs

Having taken the rather plunge of a new (USB) soundcard (Audigy 2 NX) to upgrade the sound of my PC, I’ve been finding a few moments here and there to explore some of the DVD-A’s I’ve purchased in the last couple of years. I generally listen via my “main system” (Magnapan speakers, McIntosh 240 power amp, Cary P7 preamp, etc.) but sometimes listen via my PC using a set of Grade SR80 headphones (or small BIC speakers with outboard electrostatic tweeters) driven by a set of ASL Wave 8 monoblocs and a Conrad Johnson PV10AL preamp. That ensemble is good enough to leave me a bit frustrated with the noise generated by my PC’s internal soundcard. The Audigy support 96/24 formats as well as DVD-A. It also decodes Dolby 5.1 and has line-level outputs for all channels. (When listening with two speakers or headphones, it allocates the center and surround channels appropriately.) The Audigy also has a number of acoustic “modes” (auditorium, small room) that I’ve explored by don’t generally use. I think they exist largely for gaming.

I find I can really explore good recordings (and get appalled by bad ones) with this rig. I’ve wired it pretty well (Monster 400 from Audigy to preamp, Kimber PBJ from preamp to power amp) and secured components with Blue Tack. I’m trying not to “tweak” the system as I might my main system (so, no very high end power conditioner or equipment rack.)As for the Audigy, there are higher-end USB DACs, but this is one quite nice (and certainly not expensive). Very low noise floor, good detail, and not fatiguing

In the end, this is pretty resolving and revealing way to listen to music, hear inner moving parts and subtleties, and gain some pretty good insights into the intentions of composer, performer, and producer.

Your mileage may vary.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - DVD-A and PCs - svisner 07:03:58 11/13/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.